In honor of Earth Day, I’d like to reprint here DoSomething’s suggestions for Greenifying (read Updating) that teen ritual called prom:
Five ways to make the big dance environmentally sound
1. Dress for eco success. Go organic, go vintage.
2. Borrow the blooms. Stay local with the flowers. Or better yet rent a plant.
3. Travel with your posse. Arrive like the stars: in a hybrid. Or, at the very least least, carpool/limopool it.
4. Provide a delicious AND healthy dinner. Get organic local produce for the meal, and look into hiring eco-caterers.
5. Go paperless AND save trees. Use an evite or facebook event.
6. Make prom matter. Give some proceeds to charity, donate used prom dresses, give extra food to local soup kitchen.