Every year, an average child dumps 67 pounds of lunchbox trash. Earth 911 contributor Laurel Peltier provides these simple tips for packing a trash-free lunch for your children:
- Send food in re-usable lunchboxes instead of paper bags (Also, remember if using a soft lunchbox that contains “PVC”, consider testing the bag for lead).
- Instead of plastic wrap, foil or baggies, pack food in re-usable plastic containers.
- Consider buying foods in bulk or in larger boxes and packing a portion in re-usable plastic containers.
- Send drinks in a shatterproof thermos, a re-usable drink container (some are available with ice cores built into the bottle) or send in bottled water and recycle the bottle when it returns home.
- Try cloth napkins, or re-usable silverware that can be washed at home.
Read more at Earth911.org.